Abernethy, Aberargie and Dron News

Last date for submissions

31st July 2017

Date of publication

1st September 2017

Obituary  -  Robert Morrison

Abernethy lost one of its oldest and most respected citizens with the passing of former Provost Robert Morrison on 17th February 2010.

Bob as he was popularly known attended the local school until the age of 14 when he started work as an apprentice joiner with his father's firm where he worked for several years before joining a large housebuilding firm based in Dundee and Perth.

 During the Second World War he was involved in the construction of an aerodrome in the Speybay area.

 He married his wife Mary, a native of Newburgh, in 1942 and in 1952 he took over his father's joinery and undertaking business which he ran until his retirement 27 years later. When asked to do a job his usual reply was "I'll dae it  in the morn" in his pawky way .A promise not always strictly adhered to but the job was eventually done and done well.

 He was prominent in local affairs and served on Abernethy Town Council eventually becoming Provost in 1962, a post which he held until local government re-organisation saw the end of the Town Council in 1975. He also served as an Elder of Abernethy and Dron Parish Church and was active in Masonic circles as a Past Master of  Lodge Lindores No 106 in Newburgh and a founder member and Past Master of Lodge Abernethy Round Tower No 1429.

 In his retirement he enjoyed caravanning and every summer he and Mary would set off for several weeks with the Lake Disrtict as one of their favourite destinations. He was the eldest of a family of seven and in addition to Mary is survived by son Michael, daughter-in-law Marlene, two grandchildren, three great grandchildren and brother Alec.

 A large attendance paid their respects at the funeral service in Perth Crematorium and his ashes were later interred in a private ceremony in Abernethy Old Cemetery.

                                                  RGM