Abernethy, Aberargie and Dron News

Last date for submissions

31st October 2022

Date of publication

1st December 2022


Neighbour Disputes

These are somethings that the Police are regularly contacted about; however there are often a number of other avenues which should be first. Disputes could involve arguments over things like noise, planning permission, boundaries, fences and walls or high hedges. They are very emotive as our homes are the one place we feel territorial and protective about.

If you’re involved in any sort of dispute with a neighbour, the first thing to try is talking to them and discussing the problem. This should be done before you make a formal complaint or get others involved. If you aren’t comfortable about approaching your neighbour, you could write them a polite letter. Stick to the facts and explain the problem clearly.

You could involve other neighbours if the problem affects them as well. It may be easier to put forward a complaint if it comes from a number of people in the area as no one is singled out.

If you are unable to solve the problem by speaking to your neighbour, you could contact their landlord, if they have one. If your neighbour is a council tenant you can contact the local Council Housing Officer who may be able to contact them on your behalf.

Perth and Kinross Council offers a mediation service to everyone living in the area. Mediation is usually free and is a good way to solve a dispute without making a formal complaint or taking legal action.

You can also contact the council if you have a prob- lem with noisy neighbours or are suffering as a re- sult of low level anti-social behaviour. Perth and Kinross Council has a Safer Communities Team who can deal with complaints such as these. If a neigh- bour is involved in serious anti-social behaviour or if a crime is being committed then you should contact the police.

If you are bothered by a neighbour’s noisy dog or have other concerns such as dog fouling, you can contact the Council Dog Wardens for advice and assistance.

All of the above Council departments can be contacted by telephone on 01738 475000 or you can visit their website at www.pkc.gov.uk for more information.

If all else fails, you could think about legal action. You can get free legal advice from a law centre, advice centre or a Citizens Advice Bureau. Obviously this should be a last resort, as it can be very expensive and could make it impossible to patch up your relationship with your neighbour and let’s face it you can’t get away from them without moving.

Remember that unless you are prepared to move you will have to continue to live alongside your neighbours, and so it’s in everyone’s interests to come to an understanding and to get along if possible.


Our Community Safety Department based in Perth have alarms which are for sale to the public and are generally cheaper than if buying them off the internet or in shops. Please consider purchasing these and hopefully we can disrupt and deter criminal activity such as thefts of power tools and garden equipment from sheds.

Slimline Personal Alarms - £2

Alert Multi Function Alarm - £6 Excellent for motorbikes, scooters, caravans, sheds, computers and other valuable property.

Motion Detector Alarm with Telephone Function - £12 Alarm can be used for home, office, garage and sheds

Please contact PC Lesley McDonald on 01738 892642 for more details.

Internet Safety

An internet awareness day has been organised in an attempt to raise the awareness of parents, carers and guardians of young people who regularly use the internet and in particular social-networking sites/on line games. It will give parents an understanding of the security settings and how to keep your child safe whilst they are online.

1st March 2012 – Perth Cinema

There will be 4 presentations between 0800-1900 hours.
Contact Catriona Laing on 01738 477861 or claing@pkc.gov.uk for more details and to book a place.

Bogus Callers/Scambusters Seminar

28th March 2012 – 0930-1330 hours at AK Bell Library
Please contact PC Lesley McDonald on 01738 892642 for more details or to book a book a place.


Local Community Officer Euan Mitchell can be contacted at Bridge of Earn Police Office, by telephone•on 0300 111 2222, by email on euan.mitchell@tayside.pnn.police.uk or by Twitter on @BridgeOfEarnPC.
Alternatively you can anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 to provide information relating to criminal activity of any sort.